What do I do if my dog eats chocolate?

Chocolate attacks the cardiovascular and nervous systems of dogs, and it is extremely toxic for them. In the early stages of chocolate poisoning, symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, and a dangerously increased heart rate. Later stages can include muscle spasms, seizures, excessive panting and urination, or coma. Worst case scenarios result in death.

If your dog is exhibiting any of these signs, it’s important to get them medical attention as soon as possible. If this is not an immediate option, vomiting should be induced by administering a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. But regardless, your dog should be seen by a veterinarian to obtain necessary treatment as soon as you can get them to one. Find a 24 hour animal ER near you if your dog’s vet is not available.

Yellowbook Answers Disclaimer

The Yellowbook Answers are provided as a service to users of yellowbook.com and are not intended to replace advice from qualified professionals. Yellowbook makes no promise, guarantee or warranty regarding the comprehensiveness, accuracy or reliability of the information provided.