How Does Metal Roofing Compare to Shingles?
Most people picture metal roofing when snoozing as the rain gently taps on the roof. Thad Barnette of The Metal Roofing Channel explains how metal and shingle roofs stack up through ten categories.
- Durability. This no-brainer goes to metal because you can tear shingle like paper.
- Longevity. Metal roofs last between 30 and 70 years. Shingle roofs last up to 20.
- Weight. Metal roofs are 75 percent lighter than shingles.
- Green. Metal roofs are already recycled and will be recycled when the roof is replaced. Asphalt shingles are petroleum-based and end up in landfills.
- Cost. Shingles are cheaper, but they have to be replaced periodically. Metal lasts longer.
- Ease of installation. Shingles win this one.
- Installer availability. Shingles are easier to install, so installers are more numerous.
- Severe weather. Florida gets the extremes in weather, so metal roofs are tested for and can withstand anything thrown at Florida.
- Colors. Nowadays, everything goes from green to blue to red and shades of gray shingles. Metal roofs enjoy more colors.
- Maintenance. Storms deposit debris on roofs and should be removed. Shingles might need replacement due to damage.
In most comparisons, metal roofing wins. Go on and snuggle while rain dances on your metal roof.